Sunday, January 17, 2010

First Few Days

Due to popular familial demand, I've created a blog. (Happy Tayl?) Anyway, I've been in Safrica for four days now and it is absolutely beautiful. The UCT campus is surrounded by a huge mountain called Table Mountain that can be seen from pretty much everywhere in the city. We might climb Devil's Peak tomorrow (a seriously steep climb on the mountain), but I'm thinking I might be more in the mood for the beach, which is supposed to be breathtaking--I'll definitely take some pictures. I have two roommates, Tori and Sabrina, who are great. I've also made a lot of other friends. There are only 52 or so interstudy students on the trip so it's pretty easy to be social. I've met just about everyone. We've gone clubbing the past two nights at a couple different places. On the first night I met two South African girls, one named Violet, the other named Mwabi. They took us to a club called JoBurg. Tori and I drank South African beer and danced for a while. Last night we went to a place called the Dubliner and there was a band that played a pretty eclectic series of songs, ranging from "La Bamba" to "I'm a Believer" to "Tonight's Gonna be a Good Night" haha. I told a South African guy that I loved his shirt to which he replied "I love you." After the Dubliner, we went to a ritzy club called Chrome where we danced for hours. Once we got tired we went to the bar where we got what they call a "fishbowl". It's some kind of drink with several different liquors literally placed in a fish bowl. Four of us split it and it tasted like lemonade. We didn't get home until around 4 AM and didn't fall asleep til around 5. I slept all day today instead of going to the beach, but I'm going to go tomorrow with my roommates. I'm having a really good time so far and I can't wait to see what else is going to happen in the days to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment